From: "Morgan
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-embedded] TinyGentoo Boot Issue
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:56:19
1 Try creating a symlink from /init to /bin/busybox, worked for me...
2
3 Austin
6 -----Original Message-----
7 From: gentoo-embedded+bounces-1064-AUSTIN.D.MORGAN=saic.com@g.o on
8 behalf of Chad Files
9 Sent: Mon 7/17/2006 1:35 PM
10 To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
11 Subject: [gentoo-embedded] TinyGentoo Boot Issue
12
13 I have been trying, in vain, for several days to get TinyGentoo to
14 boot from a USB drive. I have followed all of the instructions (twice)
15 and cannot get past a kernel panic issue that I am having.
16
17 Here is the issue...Grub comes up just like it should, the initramfs
18 gets into memory and the boot starts. There are several checks that
19 take place then the kernel load is attempted. This is where everything
20 falls apart...the kernel panics.
21
22 I get something to the affect of...
23
24 VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block (0,0)
25 Please append a correct "root=" boot option
26 Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block
27 (0,0)
28
29 I have searched around and here is what I have tried...
30 * Add root (0,0) line to grub conf
31 * Add root= parameter to the kernel line in grub conf (both /dev/sda1
32 and /dev/ram0)
33 * Add a mount delay to the kernel line in grub conf
34 * Rebuilt the kernel according to the instructions (for good measure)
35
36 Any help would be appreciated.
37
38 -- Chad