From: Jason <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] multi-project workflow
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:03:50
1 Hi Sergey,
2
3 On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:35:46AM +0400, Sergey Mironov wrote:
4 > Hi. Model
5 >
6 > > /usr/
7 > >  arm-none-linux-gnueabi/ -> projectA/
8 > >  arm-none-linux-gnueabi.orig/
9 > >  projectA/
10 > >  projectB/
11 > >  ...
12 > >  projectN/
13 > >
14 > > with arm-none-linux-gnueabi.orig/ being the original contents after
15 > > crossdev built the toolchain.  As I create projects, I would 'cp -a
16 > > arm....orig/* projectN/'
19 > there is one drawback here - compiler version. Looks like gentoo
20 > stores libc files in /usr/lib/gcc/arm-projectA-linux-gnueabi/1.2.3
21 > so it will probably break something if you use different gcc for your projects.
22
23 Yes, I remember falling into that trap before, with libgcc.a, etc. The
24 above layout assumed a single, static cross-compiler. Updates to the
25 cross-compiler would then necessitate rebuilding all the projects.
26
27 > > How do folks out there handle multiple projects with the same toolchain?
28 > > I'm thinking, since crossdev worked so well, to just build a
29 > > 'arm-projectA-linux-gnueabi' and then 'arm-projectB-linux-gnueabi' to
30 > > keep the roots separate.
31 > > What do you guys use?
32 >
33 > I use 'arm-projectA-linux-gnueabi' approach. It works, but still not
34 > ideal - For example, I can't just copy the whole folder to another
35 > gentoo machine and continue use emerge-projectA there.
36
37 I don't anticipate much need to migrate /usr/cross-compiler to other
38 machines. As long as I keep the ebuilds for the cross-compiler
39 components, crossdev, and the packages, I should be able to rebuild any
40 given project from scratch.
41
42 I should probably set up a separate overlay per project to accomplish
43 that.
44
45 thx,
46