From: Jason <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] multi-project workflow
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:03:50
Hi Sergey,

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:35:46AM +0400, Sergey Mironov wrote:
> Hi. Model > > > /usr/ > >  arm-none-linux-gnueabi/ -> projectA/ > >  arm-none-linux-gnueabi.orig/ > >  projectA/ > >  projectB/ > >  ... > >  projectN/ > > > > with arm-none-linux-gnueabi.orig/ being the original contents after > > crossdev built the toolchain.  As I create projects, I would 'cp -a > > arm....orig/* projectN/' > > > > there is one drawback here - compiler version. Looks like gentoo > stores libc files in /usr/lib/gcc/arm-projectA-linux-gnueabi/1.2.3 > so it will probably break something if you use different gcc for your projects.
Yes, I remember falling into that trap before, with libgcc.a, etc. The above layout assumed a single, static cross-compiler. Updates to the cross-compiler would then necessitate rebuilding all the projects.
> > How do folks out there handle multiple projects with the same toolchain? > > I'm thinking, since crossdev worked so well, to just build a > > 'arm-projectA-linux-gnueabi' and then 'arm-projectB-linux-gnueabi' to > > keep the roots separate. > > What do you guys use? > > I use 'arm-projectA-linux-gnueabi' approach. It works, but still not > ideal - For example, I can't just copy the whole folder to another > gentoo machine and continue use emerge-projectA there.
I don't anticipate much need to migrate /usr/cross-compiler to other machines. As long as I keep the ebuilds for the cross-compiler components, crossdev, and the packages, I should be able to rebuild any given project from scratch. I should probably set up a separate overlay per project to accomplish that. thx, Jason.