From: David Baird <dhbaird@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] tools for disk image manipulation
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 23:02:41
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm a little new to collaborating on open source projects, so I might
4 need you to give me some seemingly obvious advice.
5
6 I'm interested in writing tools for manipulating disk images in user
7 space. This would mean something like using dd to create a blank
8 file, partitioning it, formatting it, and mounting it. The (non-root)
9 user should have the ability to chmod and chown every file on the
10 image. I discovered the FUSE project and wrote a simple filesystem
11 that resides in data structures in RAM and I found that FUSE permits
12 mounting, chmoding, and chowning without obvious security risks (e.g.
13 executing suid root files).
14
15 Some things I would like to use these tools for are creating embedded
16 Linux images and creating images for ReactOS.
17
18 Most people seem to accomplish this by using the loopback filesystem
19 driver or by placing the physical drives on which the image resides
20 into their computer. I think that this tool can make it easier and
21 safer for people to do embedded systems development. For example, a
22 non-root user tool could 100% automate the process of creating an
23 image and eliminate the need for any root access or losetup. I even
24 thought about providing an interface outside of fuse for systems that
25 might not install fuse such as university computing centers.
26
27 Does this sound useful? Is there another mailing list I should hop on
28 for this topic?
29
30 - David
33 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list