From: "Lutz Schönemann" <lutz.schoenemann@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Bootloader for Embedded System
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:37:20
Hi,
I'm trying to get Linux running on a x86 embedded-system (Panel PC
"Atlas"). The os should be loaded from a CF-Card (CF-Card reader is
onboard and bootable). My current problem with it is that I don't know
how to get a bootloader installed on a CF-Card.
I have a Gentoo-Box (Toshiba Laptop) compiled for i386. The CF-Card is
connected via USB. When ever I install a bootloader on the CF-Card a
Dell laptop is able to boot from it but the embedded system doesn't do
it. It seems to be the problem that the two BIOS differ to much from
each other.
How can I install a bootloader that works on other hardware (with
different BIOS)?

Someone told me to build a very small kernel and put that into the
master boot record (must be smaller than 446 bytes). How can I do this?
I have deactivated nearly all features, compiled everything as module
that could be build as module but the kernel size is 627k !?!

For more information on the hardware:
http://www.kws-computer.de/ppcatlas.html

there is a link to the data sheet (Datenblatt)

Thanks for help

--
Lutz Schönemann

Addr:	Fraunhofer Institut für Sichere Informations Technologie SIT
	Rheinstrasse 75, 64295 Darmstadt, Germany
WWW:	http://www.sit.fraunhofer.de

Zertifizierungen in der FhG: http://pki.fraunhofer.de