From: Anthony Russello <arussello@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: qarce@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] PPC embedded base package
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:25:00
1 Hi,
2
3 Thanks for the reply, I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you, but
4 I never received an email to me until the digest caught up.
5
6 We're working on a small NAS-like device. Very light weight, and
7 targetting to consumers rather than businesses, so everything will be
8 pretty simple.
9
10 I'm currently working on getting a 2.6.x kernel up on the early boards.
11 Once that's up and running, I'll be working on the rootfs. I've been
12 doing a lot of checking as far as dependencies go, and I've got the
13 libraries narrowed down substantially. We're also using the 2.2.x samba
14 branch, since the 3.x branch requires a large number of libraries that
15 we don't want to include.
16
17 I've been ensuring that every binary going into the image is stripped so
18 far as well.
19
20 I guess I was kind of hoping that the gentoo embedded group was working
21 with small root filesystem sizes, and whether or not there was a base
22 layout package that would simply contain things like pre-populated /dev,
23 and other absolutely essential sources like that.
24
25 Are there any plans for such a package? Perhaps with makefiles that
26 would leverage cross compilers to create a base system for target X on
27 host Y?
28
29 It would make embedded development incredibly easy with cross compilers
30 and base layout packages of that sort ready to be emerged into /opt or
31 something like that.
32
33 Thanks,
34 Anthony