From: Christopher Friedt <cfriedt@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] cirrus ep93xx chips / maverick crunch
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:06:01
1 Hi James,
2
3 It is as I suspected according to your log file -
4
5 > --disable-libgcj
6 > --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran
7
8 Fortran has been a bit problematic with crossdev - I usually have to
9 build my toolchains without fortran support, and that requires:
10
11 USE="-fortran"
12 ECONF_EXTRA="--with-languages=c,c++"
13
14 When compiling GCC, the fortran component of gcc looks for libgmp and
15 also libmfpr (or one of them at least), both in the "rpath".
16
17 The "rpath" is usually /lib or /usr/lib (not ${SYSROOT}/lib or any other
18 default compiler search path).
19
20 Obviously, when cross-compiling, the libgmp / libmfpr that it finds is a
21 .so file for i686 or whatever your build architecture is, and they are
22 definitely not compatible with arm object code.
23
24 I would only suggest trying to add a fortran compiler when you're
25 compiling gcc _natively_ on your board, although that can be quite a
26 tedious process and you'll likely need some swap in the form of an SD
27 card or USB memory stick.
28
29 By the way, I still haven't done any hardware floating point
30 acceleration testing because I haven't had all that much spare time
31 lately. So if you are up for it, try it out.
32
33 Martin Guy has a few benchmarks and the average speedups with LAME are
34
35 OABI -> EABI: ~11
36 EABI/softfp -> EABI/hardfp: 2
37