From: Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 does not belong to any package?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 18:11:42
1 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote on 2012/03/19 01:51:53:
2 >
3 > On Sunday 18 March 2012 14:53:44 Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
4 > > What bugs me is that one can generally use /usr/$CTARGET as your root fs on
5 > > your favourite embedded target. Doing so will loose libgcc_s.so as there
6 > > isn't one installed. Having to install gcc into /usr/$CTARGET just to get
7 > > libgcc_s is a bit much.
8 >
9 > why does this actually matter ? as noted, this hack is merely there to
10 > support a split /usr setup. if you're using /usr/$CTARGET as your rootfs,
11 > then you aren't going to have a split /usr, and thus the lib copy is
12 > unnecessary.
13
14 I don't quite understand. If I copy /usr/$CTARGET to my target board
15 as rootfs there will be no libgcc on my target and NPTL needs it.
18 > > Also, would it not be better if glibc showed up in
19 > > export ROOT=/usr/${CTARGET} PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/pkgs/${CTARGET}/pkgs
20 > > quickpkg `qlist -IC` instead of
21 > > export ROOT=/ PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/pkgs/${CTARGET}/cross-tools quickpkg
22 > > `qlist -IC cross-${CTARGET}` ?
23 >
24 > no. cross-${CTARGET}/glibc is a cross-compiler glibc, not a native one. yes,
25 > you can run it through a script to move things around so that it'd basically
26 > have the same install as a native glibc, but the existing one is not.
27 >
28 > it might be useful to have crossdev automatically inject glibc into
29 > package.provided for /usr/$CTARGET since attempting to install a native one in
30 > there will hit conflicts.
31
32 hmm, I always viewed glibc under /usr/$CTARGET as a native target glibc which
33 could be copied to the target directly, but now you say it is not?
34
35 So I should continue building glibc under my own tree (that is what I have been doing
36 but I figured I could optimize away that step)?
37
38 Jocke