From: Philippe Bertin <philippe.bertin@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] some explanation on http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/cross-development.xml ?
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 19:05:37
1 Hello, all,
2
3 On the page in subject, there's 2 sentences which are contradictory one
4 another to my feeling. Either it's me, either this is a hint to
5 eventually change the sentences :
6 "Create a $SYSROOT/etc/make.conf file, and assign any path-related
7 values in it as if SYSROOT were simply /. emerge should automatically
8 adjust these values whenever ROOT and PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT are set to
9 something other than /". Let's take, for an example's sake, a SYSROOT of
10 "/usr/i586-pc-linux-gnu"
11
12 The first sentence makes think that one should specify *full* paths.
13 Because if one would need e.g. to specify a file
14 /usr/i586-pc-linux-gnu/etc/make.conf, then one would specify ("as if
15 SYSROOT were simply /") that file as "/usr/i586-pc-linux-gnu/etc/make.conf".
16
17 On the other hand, I don't believe that's really the intention, because
18 the second sentence kind of contradicts this: why would there be the
19 need to specify full paths, if emerge automatically adjusts these values
20 anyway ? So then I'd specify "/etc/make.conf", and have SYSROOT and
21 emerge do their work.
22
23 The example some lines further down the page doesn't come to the rescue
24 either, as there aren't any path- related files specified in there. Is
25 this one such of these opportunities for creating a better doc (and :
26 what is the intention : specify full paths, or not) ?
27
28 Kind regards
32 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list