From: Joop Boonen <joop.boonen@××××××.org>
To: opensuse-arm@××××××××.org, debian-arm@××××××××××××.org, linaro-dev@××××××××××××.org, arm@×××××××××××××××××××.org, meego-community@×××××.com, ubuntu-server-arm@××××××××××××.com, maemo-developers@×××××.org, gentoo-embedded@l.g.o, general@×××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Re: request/suggestion to work together to get hardfp/OSS ARM GPU drivers and/or to get documentation
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 08:41:35
7 >> hardfp, but until now most GPU's in de ARM Cortex SOCs don't have any
8 >> hardfp drivers yet.
9 >>
10 >> To be able to have a ARM hardfp compiled X Window desktop
11 >> system/notebook
12 >> with 3D support we need hardfp compiled drivers.
13 >>
14 >> I was thinking it might be more efficient is all Linux distro's work
15 >> together to get these drivers as it's equally important for all distro
16 >> that wants to move to a hardfp distro.
17 >>
18 >> What do you all think, who wants to work together to get full hardfp
19 >> support for as most as possible ARM SOC GPUs?
20 >>
21 >> It would be great if we can in the end even have OSS drivers.
22 >
23 > Hi,
24 >
25 > Nvidia was the first to release hardfp drivers for tegra2 gpus for
26 > armhf, and we also have working drivers for hardfloat for the
27 > Freescale i.MX51 and i.MX53 gpus, which we use on our current and
28 > upcoming products (Genesi Smarttop/Smartbooks). It took a lot of time
29 > and effort on our side to push for that, and obviously not for
30 > technical reasons -it was just a 5 minute recompile of a binary static
31 > library.
32
33 I can imagine. I understood that the MX51 has a AMD Z430 GPU. Which has
34 been renamed to Adreno 200 (AMD Z430), as Qualcomm bought the handheld
35 graphics unit from AMD.
36
37 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imageon
38
39 So you probably have to go through FreeScale that might need approval from
40 Qualcomm to build a hardfp driver.
41
42 I understood that in the ARM SOC world the SOC producer is responsible for
43 the video driver, which is very different from the PC world where the
44 designer is delivers the driver (NVidia/AMD/Intel).
45
46 > But in the end it was worth it. We're getting 15-20% increase
47 > in performance on average -sometimes more- in our GLES benchmarks, and
48 > we're working to squeeze more performance out of that -I'm currently
49 > working on neon-optimizations in the GLES1 backend, which may not be
50 > current, but it's still used by some important and very much needed
51 > applications (i.e. quake3 :).
52 >
53 > So, the list is short right now, but that is the least of our
54 > problems. The real problem is getting all of the kernel gpu drivers
55 > into a single (mainline?Linaro?) kernel tree. The vendors are very
56 > resistant in releasing specs or source code, and the kernel guys are
57 > equally -if not more- resistant in accepting half-open/half-closed
58 > drivers into the kernel tree.
59
60 I think this is de to GPL, that why they only allow open source modules
61 for the kernel. That's also why the proprietary kernel modules for NVidia
62 and AMD are not in the standard kernel.
63
64 > It's going to be a long road, but I
65 > think that eventually we're getting there, unless of course a miracle
66 > happens and all vendors simultaneously opensource their drivers :)
67
68 I hope it will happen soon. It feels the time when NVidia and ATI didn't
69 build any (3D) drivers for Linux. This slows down Linux development a lot
70 and it'll limit that hardware you'll be able to use Linux on.
73 > Regards
74 >
75 > Konstantinos
78 > linaro-dev mailing list