From: Steev Klimaszewski <steev@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Arm based netbook?
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 19:15:47
On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:40 PM, wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
> On 10/05/11 14:05, Steev Klimaszewski wrote: > >>> Anyone set up embedded Gentoo on an ARM (A8 or A9) >>> based netbook? ( > > >> I do, on my EfikaMX smartbook, the only caveats being that some parts >> are non-free, though I have sources, so I need to re-write the ebuilds >> and build the tarballs for it still.  I've been installing gnome 3.2 >> on there, so it's going a bit slow at the moment.  One caveat of using >> a "modern" desktop-y system is that consolekit seems to need >> CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL which doesn't exist for ARM devices yet. > > > Ah, this is good news, I was just looking at the A8 version. > > Do you have minicom working on the usb ports (using an FTDI > usb-2-serial chip?).
Being as I work for Genesi (see my sig) I have a debug board, when I need it (technically I don't since I had to give mine up but if I needed to I could get one from someone else in the company) worst case scenario, if something bad happens I can boot from an SD card and fix it.
> Have you cobbled together some sort of wired ethernet > (usb-2-ethernet) of some type or do you just use > wireless Ethernet?
I use wifi on the smartbook, but the default config for the 2.6.31 kernel in use has support for all usb->ethernet devices.
> You gonna put a doc into the hadbook like trimslice? >
I thought there was one floating around somewhere. Eventually I might, but I don't have as much free time as I would like, and I dislike xml, so if I did, I'd make a text file and shoot it off to armin76 or nightmorph or someone to make it all pretty for the web.
> > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/?part=4&chap=10 > > > I'm itching to do this, but, I wanted to wait on the A15 chip > (Omap5). Alas I may jump in before that A15 is shipping....
Being as our company uses Freescale chips, I'm looking forward to the mx6, although it will probably be a while before anything comes out in the consumer space based on it. Quad core will be nice.
-- Best Regards, Steev Steev Klimaszewski <steev@××××××××××.com> Senior Software Engineer, Genesi USA, Inc.