From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] can't load ramdisk correctly on nslu2
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:26:35
1 On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 10:44 -0400, Jason wrote:
2 > Ok, I'm frustrated. :-)
3 >
4 > I have the kernel loaded and running via serial/TFTP into an NSLU2. It
5 > may not be configured correctly (duh), and the kernel command line might
6 > not be correct (also, duh). I've tried so many variants of the two, I
7 > can't see straight. I've also tried a gzip'd ramdisk, bzip2'd ramdisk,
8 > and a cpio ramdisk. Nothing works. /sbin/init is in the ramdisk.
9 > /dev/console and /dev/null are there also.
10 >
11 > I'm missing something basic. Could someone look over the output below
12 > and point me in the right direction?
13 >
14 > I suspect 'invalid compressed format (err=1)' might be a good indicator
15 > of what is wrong, but google isn't being cooperative today.
18 http://google.com/search?q=initramfs+cpio
19
20 first hit.
23 cd myramfs/
24 find . | cpio -H newc --create --verbose | gzip -9 > ../myramfs.gz
25
26 I think the kernel is picky about the -H newc option.
27
28 > I'm not touching the flash until I can safely, and repeatably, boot from
29 > ram and run from ram.
30 >
31 > thx,
32 >