From: Janusz Syrytczyk <jsyrytczyk@×××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] embedded ext2 and fsck
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 22:05:34
1 > Hi David,
2 >
3 > Am Dienstag, den 06.04.2010, 10:16 -0400 schrieb Relson, David:
4 > [...]
5 >
6 > > Over the past month I've encountered numerous "Stale NFS file handle"
7 > > errors. The device isn't networked and there's no apparent reason for
8 > > them (as best I can tell).
9 >
10 > i had the same problems on a (i think it was ext2) root-filesystem which
11 > was never written to, but was also not mounted ro.
12 >
13 > i thought that i would not need the fsck on boot up, because there are
14 > no write accesses to the device ...
15 >
16 > however after some months of operation the device failed to boot with
17 > exact the same error message ...
18 >
19 > the reason i suspect was that due to power failures the ext2 got
20 > inconsistent somehow ... which resulted in "stale NFS file handle
21 > messages" ... not very intuitive ;)
22 >
23 > i put in a check & repair of the filesystem (with -y) on every boot and
24 > now those errors are gone ...
25 >
26 > i think the problem encounters when a not cleanly shut down ext2 fs gets
27 > mounted over and over again ... and ... maybe something got written to
28 > it even if i would not know ... it was a mini-itx running gentoo
29 > with /var (mostly) on another (rw) partition - but not very "embedded"
30 > in terms of stripped down ... ;)
31 >
32 > hope this helps,
33 > marcus.
34
35 Stale NFS socket you say.... those meant my custom compilation past away, as
36 the filesystem became unusable. I've chopped the flash and bought new one.
37
38 Until now, I've managed to kill several flashes. Apparently they're not so
39 wearproof as vendors say. This could be coincidence, but all of them were
40 Kingstons with lifetime warranty.
41
42 can I include screenshot here? I mange my Personal Collection of Failures (TM)
43 and I've got screenshot of this failure too :-))

flash-kaput.png image/png