From: Jason <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] dropbear, gethostbyname(), timeout
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:15:26
1 Cees Koolen wrote:
2 > Hi Jason,
3 >
4 > ----- Original Message -----
5 > From: "Jason" <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
6 > To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
7 > Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:15:17 PM GMT +01:00 Amsterdam / Berlin / Bern / Rome / Stockholm / Vienna
8 > Subject: [gentoo-embedded] dropbear, gethostbyname(), timeout
9 >
10 > Ok, stupid question time. :-)
11 >
12 > I'm trying to do the correct, longterm solution for the following
13 > problem. When I ssh into my board (running dropbear-0.49), if I don't
14 > have the client's ip address and hostname in /etc/hosts (on the board),
15 > it'll take over a minute to log in. Presumably hung on gethostbyname()
16 > or similar.
17 >
18 > Adding the name and ip to /etc/hosts is fine while I'm putzing around,
19 > but once I deploy it, I can't guarantee what network (crossover cable?)
20 > it'll be on, or what the client ip or hostname will be. I'm using
21 > udhcpc to bring the device up and I've used
22 > /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script to dynamically write the
23 > /etc/resolv.conf file based on input from the network's dhcp server.
24 > But nothing I've tried works.
25 >
26 > Has anyone encountered this? What's the proper fix?
29 > Try using an empty file for /etc/resolv.conf
30
31 thx, that worked. I feel dumb. :-)
32
33 Jason.