From: Petric Frank <pfrank@×××.de>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Beginner: Target Mips + nommu
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 13:08:41
1 Hello,
2
3 i'm rather a beginner when it comes to embedded systems.
4 My (play) system is a mips (i assume a mips32 big endian) system without a
5 mmu, so i started with
6 crossdev --target mips-softfloat-linux-uclibc
7
8 which runs well (after unmasking uclibc-0.9.30.1-r1 for mips). So i have now
9 the cross-compilers and binutils available.
10
11 Due the target has no mmu i assume that i have to rebuild the uClibc with a
12 modified .config to cover this, right ?
13 Ok, in the first view switching ARCH_HAS_MMU/ARCH_USE_MMU off is obvious, but
14 then i think PIC (DOPIC) is also not allowed.
15 (anyone could share me a working .config for this target ?)
16
17 Also - as far as i read - the normal linux kernel is not capable of a mmu-less
18 mips system. Is uClinux the proper alternative for this or are the mips
19 kernels available in the portage tree patched to cover this ?
20
21 Are there other things i have to care about ?
22
23 I would be happy if someone can share some knowledge with me.
24
25 regards
26 Petric