From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
Cc: toolchain@g.o, gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] latest changes for uclibc mainly
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:26:42
1 On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 02:53, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
2 > On 25 Jun 2004, Ned Ludd wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 09:27, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
5 > > > Hello!
6 > > >
7 > > > some corrections and/or missing changes for uclibc support
8 > >
9 > > tar updated
10 > > perl updated
11 > > openssl updated
12 > >
13 > > binutils-2.15.91.0.1-r2 -
14 > > binutils - 2.14.90.0.8-r2
15 > >
16 > > This type of logic is not desired.
17 > > use uclibc && rm -f ${WORKDIR}/patch/*relro* && rm -rf
18 > > ${WORKDIR}/patch/*sparc1* || die
19 > >
20 > > Can you rewrite this one and repost it with 'if ; then ; else ; fi'
21 >
22 > I do not know what is not ok with my logic, so please change it as you
23 > please
24 > Now there are numbers that are used, I do not like it, because I want to
25 > know what I remove (in this case all the relro related patches, and a
26 > patch for sparc that could be ported)
27 >
28 > > gcc-3.4.0-r6 - I'll run this by somebody that works on 3.4.x
29 > > db-4.1.25_p1-r4 - I'll do this one in a few mins
30 > > catalyst-1.0.7 - Only zhen/releng can make cvs commits on this one.
31 >
32 > catalyst is not so important for now, because none of you gave me an idea
33 > how to produce a stage1/2/3 from tbz2 files, so I can't test stage building.
36 > > Now assuming we get all the updates in where does this put us in your
37 > > minds eye?
38 > > I've got people asking me about uclibc by the boatload now.
39 >
40 > Due to the fact that not all patches were "accepted" you are missing
41 > following to really build an uclibc based system starting from buildroot +
42 > portage manually installed:
43 >
44 > config.sub/config.guess is updated by me all the time by econf, only
45 > those ebuilds got addition use uclibc && gnuconfig_update, that do not run
46 > econf, only use directly ./configure (the most of them should be corrected
47 > to use econf, but I wanted to hold my diffs at minimum, so that they are
48 > acceptable). There are also about 5-6 different versions of these files
49 > on the system, libtool and automakes, gnuconfig are delivering them, I
50 > have done patches for this, to use only one, but haven't seen them
51 > accepted (see my first patch related to gnuconfig-uclibc), If you do not
52 > remove all the diff. versions and use a "well known" one, updating lets
53 > say libtool brings a newer config.guess, but this one was forgotten to be
54 > patched for uclibc.
57 > After this step you can't build any libs for sure for
58 > uclibc (that's why I wanted the provide gnuconfig-uclibc, to be really
59 > sure about uclibc proper version)
60
61 For this there is no solution. use uclibc && PROVIDE= is not valid and
62 till such a time as PROVIDES understand uclibc? ( stuff ) syntax we
63 can't really run with that gnuconfig-uclibc stuff. The gnuconfig package
64 has however been updated in stable, so all instances will get the proper
65 config.sub,guess
66
67 For now we have to seriously forget about conditional provides ;/
68
69 > I can't accept an approach, to add use uclibc && gnuconfig_update to all
70 > ebuild that are used w/ uclibc.
71
72 Thats fine we can do it via econf but we have to hook this with a
73 FEATURE so it may be disabled for any case where a problem could arise.
74 Something like this should do the trick and keep everything running
75 smooth.
76
77 if ! hasq noautoeconf $FEATURES ; then
78 [ -e /usr/share/gnuconfig/ -a -x /bin/basename ] && \
79 for x in $(find ${S} -name config.guess -o -name config.sub) ; do
80 cp /usr/share/gnuconfig/$(basename ${x}) ${x}
81 done
82 fi
85 > I have attached my "last bits" from the uclibc overlay directory, so
86 > you'll see what I am using (these were already sent earlier)
87 >
88 > Another problem that will surely arise, the uclibc patches are not
89 > everywhere in the newest releases, and also if they are there, some devs
90 > are ignoring them, leaving them out (see openssl), so who will check for each
91 > update, that someone didn't removed the known uclibc support from one
92 > package. Most of the uclibc patches are not influencing the normal
93 > functionality, so they could apply unconditionally, maybe if they won't
94 > get use uclibc, they will mostly remain in, so the devs will try to
95 > update/port them to newer versions.
96
97 Then we need to get as many versions updated that we can so that uclibc
98 carries onto each new future version of an .ebuild.
99
100 > On a side note:
101 > tar ~arch is faulty on uclibc (tar jtf does not work on the created tbz2
102 > files), only the stable one (1.13.92-r3) works. How can it be done to use
103 > exclusively this version for uclibc? Should this be done in the profile
104 > enforcing some version?
105
106 masked now in the profile using
107 <app-arch/tar-1.13.25-r3
108
109 > Peter
110 >
112 > --
113 > gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list
114 --
115 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
116 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer