From: Heath H Holcomb <heath@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] x86 SBC Gentoo Embedded HowTo version 0.03 (unfinished)
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:04:17
1 On 04 29 2005 09:27 am, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > > emerge -e system
3 > > # fixes a emerge ebuild bug, this should go away soon
4 > > emerge python
5 > > # continue with the rest of the emerge system
6 > > emerge -e system
7
8 This was just a for a work around for a bug I encountered.
9
10 > (-e system twice) You should never need todo this.
11 >
12 > > # modify make.conf and set you USE flags for the target embedded build
13 > > # these use flags build a smaller system with no documentation, man or
14 > > info pages installed
15 > > # the make-symlinks option of for busybox to automatically create the
16 > > symlinks to it
19 > > nano -w /etc/make.conf
20 > > USE="make-symlinks nodoc noinfo noman"
21 >
22 > nodoc/noman/noinfo are not alid USE flags. They are FEATURES= and they
23 > are enabled per default in the uclibc profiles.
24 > See: emerge info
25
26 I'll fix this.
27
28 > make-symlinks is a feature intended for people that are cross compiling
29 > only. If you can run the native binarys which you can cuz it's x86 based
30 > then you should consider doing something like so.
31 >
32 > chroot /opt/i586-pc-linux-uclibc /bin/bash --login
33 >
34 > ROOT=/dev/shm/rootfs
35 > mount -obind /proc/ ${ROOT}/proc/
36 > chroot ${ROOT} /bin/busybox --install -s
37 > umount ${ROOT}/proc
38
39 Should I not use busybox? I don't understand why I should not use the use
40 flag "make-symlinks" for busybox. If I emerge busybox without the that use
41 flag it don't create the smylinks for all the commands, it only install the
42 binary busybox.
43
44 > > # build busybox and uclibc, put into the Embedded RootFS (/Embedded
45 > > RootFS) # don't understand exactally how this works, someone please add
46 > > comments mkdir /Embedded RootFS
47 > > ROOT=/Embedded RootFS emerge busybox uclibc
48 > >
49 > > # emerge other software you need for you embedded target
50 > > ROOT=/Embedded RootFS emerge xxxxxxxxx
51 >
52 > Being that you already enabled FEATURES=buildpkg there is no point in
53 > building xxxxxxx again. Simply use "emerge -K" at this point.
54
55 Do you mean that I should emerge mplayer (for example) in my development
56 rootfs (with buildpkq use flag), and just emerge -k mplayer into my embedded
57 rootfs?
58
59 > > # install a kernel into Embedded RootFS
60 > > ROOT=/Embedded RootFS emerge vanilla-sources
61 > > cd /Embedded RootFS/usr/src
62 > > ln -s linux-
63 >
64 > No this is wrong.
65 >
66 > Your kernel building for native-* should be in
67 > /opt/i586-pc-linux-uclibc/usr/src/linux
68 > vs
69 > /opt/i586-pc-linux-uclibc/"Embedded RootFS"
70
71 Ok, I understand. Emerge, configure, and make the kernel in the development
72 rootfs and this copy it to my embedded rootfs boot directory.
75 > --
76 > Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
79 Thanks,
82 Heath Holcomb