From: steve <steve@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] real time linux
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:52:56
1 Have you checked out linux cnc
2
3 http://www.linuxcnc.org/
4
5 It uses rtlinux to run steppers on cnc mills, etc.
8 steve
12 On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 11:02 -0300, Francisco Ares wrote:
13 > Justin Cormack wrote:
16 > > On 13 May 2005, at 02:45, Francisco Ares wrote:
17 > >
18 > >>
19 > >> And as far as there are so many possibilities, does anyone know of
20 > >> some kind of benchmarks between them? Or should I just try some
21 > >> different ones for my application? BTW, it is a stepper motor 4
22 > >> axles control for a starting point, but I would like to bring more
23 > >> automation out of an existing PLC to a Linux industrial-grade box.
24 > >>
25 > >
26 > > What are the constraints for this application? ie how often do you
27 > > need to write stuff? I have never looked at this application in
28 > > detail, inly very roughly. You can write a kernel module that runs on
29 > > the timer interrupt (max 1000Hz on i386, may vary on other
30 > > platforms). Doing much more than this is problematic without another
31 > > source of interrupts. But if you have DA converters that give
32 > > interrupts on your motor control hardware you could use these, or add
33 > > a timer chip that gives customisable interrupts.
34 > >
35 > > justin
38 > The main constraint is that I have to generate a pulse train at different frequencies as constant as possible, and also be able to vary that frequency during ramp up and down.
39 >
40 > My stepper motor driver needs a pulse for each micro step desired at the motor, and also a logic level for direction.
41 >
42 > I guess for now that the maximum frequency of these are about 5kHz, but I've got to have 4 (maybe 5) of them, most of the time they will start together, but they will almost always end up in different points, so I will need three ramp and steady frequency generators.
43 >
44 > Any advice? Or should I forget trying to use the parallel port for this and go out and buy a motion control ISA board?
45 >
46 > Thanks
47 > Francisco
50 ... as long as there's beer