From: Colin Bell <colinb@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Can't get /dev/sda to mount
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 21:53:45
Hi all

I've managed to build my first Gentoo embedded disk on VMware using
the instructions from the wiki. It all boots and loads up but the /
boot and the /mount/dongle mounts fail. The wiki has instructions for
a usb dongle, but I modified the fstab slightly to work for a drive.

If I try fdisk /dev/sda it says it can't find /dev/sda. /dev/sda and /
dev/sda* (1-4) exist in the /dev directory. I have also tried
deleting them and using mknod and mdev instead without success.

I have added the scsi drivers in the kernel (as vmware emulates scsi).

I get no errors in the /var/log/messages.

/etc/fstab is

none                    /tmp            tmpfs
defaults        0 0
none                    /proc           proc
defaults        0 0
/dev/sda1               /boot           ext2
noauto,ro       0 0
/dev/sda2               /mnt/dongle     ext2
defaults        0 0

I would really appreciate some pointers.

Many thanks

Colin