From: Colin Bell <colinb@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Can't get /dev/sda to mount
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 21:53:45
1 Hi all
2
3 I've managed to build my first Gentoo embedded disk on VMware using
4 the instructions from the wiki. It all boots and loads up but the /
5 boot and the /mount/dongle mounts fail. The wiki has instructions for
6 a usb dongle, but I modified the fstab slightly to work for a drive.
7
8 If I try fdisk /dev/sda it says it can't find /dev/sda. /dev/sda and /
9 dev/sda* (1-4) exist in the /dev directory. I have also tried
10 deleting them and using mknod and mdev instead without success.
11
12 I have added the scsi drivers in the kernel (as vmware emulates scsi).
13
14 I get no errors in the /var/log/messages.
15
16 /etc/fstab is
17
18 none /tmp tmpfs
19 defaults 0 0
20 none /proc proc
21 defaults 0 0
22 /dev/sda1 /boot ext2
23 noauto,ro 0 0
24 /dev/sda2 /mnt/dongle ext2
25 defaults 0 0
28 I would really appreciate some pointers.
29
30 Many thanks
31
32 Colin