From: Akos Maroy <darkeye@××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] is Gentoo ARM really defunct?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:41:12
1 Kumba wrote:
2 > Mainly, a profile in the profiles/ subdir of the portage tree, as well
3 > as editing the arch.list file (or whatever file in profiles/ that stores
4 > the allowable arch keywords).
5 >
6 > Of course, you would want to test portage first to make sure it builds
7 > and installs (might have to install it by hand first). You'd then aim
8
9 we already have portage working, with an old snapshot of the portage
10 tree (arm keywords still included). see
11 http://gentooforzaurus.opensistemas.com/
12
13 the idea at the moment is to mount gentoo-related files through nfs, as
14 it is quite large, and does not fit on most memory cards for the Zaurus.
15
16 > for a minimal stage2 install of gentoo, essentially a post-bootstrapped
17
18 by this you mean we shouldn't bother trying to create stage1?
19
20 > system. One idea at this point is to keep a "clean" version of the
21 > portage tree around from a specific date (a snapshot), and a second tree
22 > containing all the needed changes for arm. After hitting the stage2
23
24 a lame question here: naturally there would be more poeple working on
25 this, thus this separate portage tree has to be accessed / written by
26 several people. how would we achieve this? put it in a CVS somewhere,
27 and use cvs commit / update? or somehow utilize emerge sync?
28
29 > phase, diff the two trees, drop a note in the forums with a tarball of
30 > the clean portage tree and the diff for the arm changes, and then move
31 > onto the next phase, and so on.
32 >
33 > Essentially, you want to get to a stage3, merge additional packages
34 > (logger, cron, basic editors (nano, vi/vim, etc..) and such), then work
35 > on catalyst. Once you can make catalyst churn out arm stages, and have
36
37 I see, catalyst is the name of the game here :)
38
39 when we get there, we'll have to have special precautions for embedded
40 systems. for example for the Zaurus, you have to flash the new operating
41 system in, including the kernel and the base filesystem, via a manual
42 procedure.
43
44 but hey, it's still some way when we have to address this issue :)
47 Akos
52 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list