From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Cross Dev Tricks + Hardened questions
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 18:36:12
1 On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 09:44 +0100, Shinkan wrote:
2 >
3 > 2009/11/30 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
6 > USE CATALYST!
9 > To do this you will create stage2, stage3 and stage4 spec
10 > files
11 > (maybe also stage1, I'm not sure on that) for catalyst. It can
12 > produce exactly what you want.
15 > Fine, I believe this would be controlled by USE flags for
16 > stage2 and
17 > up.
20 > Please just start playing with the catalyst examples. I hope
21 > you will
22 > quickly learn what they produce.
23 >
24 > I already looked a lot into Catalyst but some points doesn't fit to my
25 > plans :
26 > - I have to use a profile if I want to specify things (for instance
27 > ports version) for base stage. I really don't want to build a profile
28 > because they're hard to maintain in a wide use scheme, and because
29 > that's overkill.
30 > - Catatalyst seems to build by substraction (I mean on livecd, it
31 > builds from a stage3, then unmerges and removes things). I want to
32 > build with additive steps (from nothing).
33 > - I want to be able to just emerge one new port or update one on a
34 > target, and with Catalyst I cant. I must rebuild all (yeah, cache is
35 > there but...), and I really need to build just one port on some cases.
36 >
37 > That's why I thought about a "build" directory built from my host with
38 > crossdev. Then I use this build env to build my target with gcc/libc I
39 > want. If I have to build just one port, I can use my build env for
40 > this target again.
41 > Since I choose what to build from nothing, I don't have to use profile
42 > to define what I put in my target or build. I don't break system by
43 > removing things.
44 > My build standard "make.conf" serves as usual, I have nothing more
45 > than a crossdev, a make.conf filling, and some emerge to a given root.
46 >
47 > That's what I want, but I don't know how to achieve this.
48 > If Catalyst can offer me this control, I would be glad to use it.
51 catalyst can do none of the above and it's not cross-compile aware at
52 all. Building from nothing is the right way to handle what you are
53 trying to accomplish.
56 Good luck.
60 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
61 Gentoo Linux