From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Is a compilation depend on the running kernel?
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:04:38
1 * Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> schrieb:
2
3 > > No, they can't, especially in embedded world.
4 >
5 > Obviously there is a limit to every definition of stable. But it is
6 > my impression that Linux does not change API at a whim.
7
8 True. But there are cases where old APIs/ABIs cease to exist
9 (eg. binaries built for 2.6.19 wont run on current kernels anymore).
10
11 In embedded world it often becomes even trickier: kernels tend to
12 have certain vendor-specific extensions/interfaces which are too
13 bleeding edge to have an stable API/ABI yet. (have several such
14 cases in a current project)
15
16 > > The biggest problem is certain ill-designed packages which try to
17 > > guess something from the *running* system. This can only be solved
18 > > in the source.
19 >
20 > Sure, and this is a problem with individual packages. Not so much
21 > with the kernel. The packages can be fixed.
22
23 ACK. And the packages *should* be fixed, instead of trying to work
24 around in dubious ways (eg. certain autoconf'ed packages which have
25 certain fallback defaults in AC_TRY_RUN calls, which are likely to
26 be wrong).
27
28 > > > Do you have a problem with some package?
29 > >
30 > > Just from the tip of my head, in recent years: network utils,
31 > > drbd, etc, ...
32 >
33 > Because the recommended API to use was changed, or?
34
35 The actual API changed. On DRBD it seems to change quite frequently.
36 Had to cope with that in a recent project at a big ISP which used
37 DRBD on several thousands of boxes with differing configurations,
38 we had to wrappers in front of the DRBD userland tools the right
39 version is taken for the running kernel (otherwise we'd have to
40 update kernel and userland *together* and cold-reboot immediately,
41 which is far from being desirable in enterprise environments).
44 cu
45 --
47 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
48
49 phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@×××××.de
50 mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
52 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme