From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] file system question
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:04:13
1 On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:26:49 +0200
2 Nebojša Ćosić wrote:
3
4 > > G'day,
5 > >
6 > > I'm porting the software for an embedded medical device from DOS to
7 > > Linux and am wondering which file systems are appropriate and which
8 > > are not. The device's mass storage is a Disk-on-Module solid state
9 > > flash drive. Data is presently written at approx 100 bytes every
10 > > 30 seconds but that might change to 100 bytes every second. The
11 > > device has a watchdog (recently activated) and during today's
12 > > session it was triggered and wiped out my file system.
13 > >
14 > > Anybody have recommendations on which file system to use and the
15 > > appropriate settings?
16 > >
17 > > Anybody have suggested readings so I can educate myself?
18 > >
19 > > Thank you.
20 > >
21 > > David
22 > >
23 > After having problems with EMC and usb storage, I finally fixed the
24 > problem with following solution:
25 > - data storage, in my case usb stick, has at least 2 partitions
26 > - second partition is without file system. It is divided in a number
27 > of slots, each large enough to store all of my data
28 > - all work is performed on data stored on ram disk
29 > - periodically (triggered by time and/or data change), I compress ram
30 > disk and dump it in a next slot on unformatted partition
31 > I have a small battery, which I use to do one final dump at shutdown
32 > time.
33 > On startup, I go through all of the slots in second partition,
34 > searching for latest uncorrupt data, and use this to populate ram
35 > disk. If you can live with some data loss, you don't even need
36 > battery backup. No matter wear leveling implementation on your
37 > storage, this solution works optimally.
38 > It works even on your directly accessible flash storage.
39 > Since there is no real file system on partition, there is no need for
40 > it's recovery - besides searching for latest and greatest set of data
41 > on startup
42 > And it is implemented as a ash script, using tar and gzip, so your
43 > data is actually better verified than on normal file system (the
44 > usual one do not actually checksum data. I don't consider jffs2 to be
45 > "the usual filesystem":)
46 > Nebojša
47
48 Wow! That's a robust solution!