From: Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] gcc-4.6 / bionic
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 03:05:25
Hi James,

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:40 PM, wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
> Apologies for my ignorances. This link went a long > way to present what is bionic libc: > > http://codingrelic.geekhold.com/2008/11/six-million-dollar-libc.html
I've read that page too... not really sure what you're saying though. You could say I'm leaning toward the "linux without politics" usage model. It's straight-forward to patch bionic to use /etc/resolv.conf, and add crypt routines as well as /etc/passwd & /etc/group usage. That can be done with bsd licensed code. BSD userland politics aside, I wonder what the typical steps would be to 'port' gentoo over to a bionic-based libc. Something like the following? 1) manually build a bionic cross-toolchain 2) do some basic verification with the cross-toolchain (static exe, exe that uses .so, .so, etc) 3) build a native toolchain with the cross-toolchain, record build steps / patches along the way 4) manually bootstrap gentoo natively, record build steps / patches along the way 5) set up overlays: portage, crossdev, bionic, gcc, etc C