From: Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] gcc-4.6 / bionic
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 03:05:25
1 Hi James,
2
3 On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:40 PM, wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > Apologies for my ignorances. This link went a long
5 > way to present what is bionic libc:
6 >
7 > http://codingrelic.geekhold.com/2008/11/six-million-dollar-libc.html
8
9 I've read that page too... not really sure what you're saying though.
10 You could say I'm leaning toward the "linux without politics" usage
11 model. It's straight-forward to patch bionic to use /etc/resolv.conf,
12 and add crypt routines as well as /etc/passwd & /etc/group usage. That
13 can be done with bsd licensed code.
14
15 BSD userland politics aside, I wonder what the typical steps would be
16 to 'port' gentoo over to a bionic-based libc. Something like the
17 following?
18
19 1) manually build a bionic cross-toolchain
20 2) do some basic verification with the cross-toolchain (static exe,
21 exe that uses .so, .so, etc)
22 3) build a native toolchain with the cross-toolchain, record build
23 steps / patches along the way
24 4) manually bootstrap gentoo natively, record build steps / patches
25 along the way
26 5) set up overlays: portage, crossdev, bionic, gcc, etc
27
28 C