From: Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] avahi
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:28:51
1 On Friday 29 February 2008 17:33:29 wireless wrote:
2 > Maybe:
3 >
4 > Maybe not avahi in it's current form, but certainly there is the
5 > possibility that zeroconf + dns-sd + (new code) could be made to
6 > auto-configure the ethernet and routing for an embedded board.
7 >
8 > If you disagree, please provide me some factual reasons as to why
9 > zeroconf plus dns-sd cannot be extended to perform auto-configuration?
10
11 Eh, I never said that avahi couldn't be extended.
12
13 I just said that it won't replace dhcp clients as such. It makes much more
14 sense for existing dhcp clients to support zeroconf rather than avahi
15 zeroconf supporting dhcp.
16
17 dhcpcd is currently the only open source DHCP client that supports zeroconf
18 out of the box.
19
20 Thanks
21