From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Cc: azarah@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] base-layout lite
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 12:09:45
On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 09:59, Chris PeBenito wrote:

> I agree with this. I'm thinking that baselayout-lite would probably > just have one init script, rc.sysinit or the like. There's not very > many systems that would have/need additional runlevels. So a good place > might be to extract stuff out of /sbin/rc, and other regular baselayout > scripts and merge into one script. > > Solar has also suggested looking at the buildroot baselayout, but I have > been bogged down by my classwork, so I haven't looked yet. > > > Well I'm not sure where to draw the line... > > do we want to still have /var/run PID functionality for example ? Or should we > > leave that up to the embedded user... it could most likely be > > implemented in a few lines of bash. > > > > or maybe some sort of busybox like funcitonality with symlinks... i.e. > > > > /etc/init.d/busyinit > > /etc/init.d/network -> /etc/init.d/busyinit > > This is another good idea :) Especially since busybox is most likely > going to get heavy use. /var/run may or not be around; with something > real simple, without the classic /etc/init.d services, it probably > doesn't need to.
What are the chances of setting the long term goal of modularising the current baselayout so that it's flexible enough to install on both a minimal embedded environment, a headless box with serial ports (no colourisations to screw up the output), and a full blown desktop box? -- Seemant Kulleen Developer and Project Co-ordinator, Gentoo Linux http://dev.gentoo.org/~seemant Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3458780E Key fingerprint = 23A9 7CB5 9BBB 4F8D 549B 6593 EDA2 65D8 3458 780E