From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] SOLUTION (partial) was: High Speed Serial Problem
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 06:04:25
1 On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 12:02 PM, David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 <snip>
3 > Even with a dedicated thread, the program is still receiving multiple
4 > characters per read.  Calculating average and maximum byte counts for
5 > each 10,000 reads, I've often seen maximums of 150 and have never seen
6 > an average under 12.  These numbers occur with VMIN=1 and VTIME=0.
7 >
8 > Is there a setting so that the serial port driver will release
9 > characters sooner (rather than later)?
10 <snip>
11
12 Wasn't involved in the other thread, so my apologies if this has
13 already been answered/stated, but are you using the realtime kernel
14 patches? If you run RT-Preempt, then you can set the priority of the
15 kernel thread that is handling the serial interrupt high than all the
16 other kernel threads, which should improve your latencies... See
17 https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page for more info.
18
19 HTH-
20