From: Chad Files <cpfiles@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] TinyGentoo Boot Issue
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:21:34
1 I have been trying, in vain, for several days to get TinyGentoo to
2 boot from a USB drive. I have followed all of the instructions (twice)
3 and cannot get past a kernel panic issue that I am having.
4
5 Here is the issue...Grub comes up just like it should, the initramfs
6 gets into memory and the boot starts. There are several checks that
7 take place then the kernel load is attempted. This is where everything
8 falls apart...the kernel panics.
9
10 I get something to the affect of...
11
12 VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block (0,0)
13 Please append a correct "root=" boot option
14 Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)
15
16 I have searched around and here is what I have tried...
17 * Add root (0,0) line to grub conf
18 * Add root= parameter to the kernel line in grub conf (both /dev/sda1
19 and /dev/ram0)
20 * Add a mount delay to the kernel line in grub conf
21 * Rebuilt the kernel according to the instructions (for good measure)
22
23 Any help would be appreciated.
24
25 -- Chad