From: Heath Holcomb <liquidcable@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] new ARM920T based computer design (EP9315)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:39:43
1 On Monday 30 January 2006 03:22, KIMURA Masaru / hiyuh wrote:
2 > On 20:42 Fri 27 Jan , Heath Holcomb wrote:
3 > > The specific part is Cirrus Logic EP9315, it's an ARM920T based chip. It
4 > > has the SDRAM interface, flash interface (NOR), MAC (not PHY), and an
5 > > MMU.
6 >
7 > (SNIP)
8 >
9 > > Any advice on this chip or any ARM would be nice. I plan on use embedded
10 > > Gentoo as the base of our OS. The development board comes with CE 5.0
11 > > and Linux (Debian based). There is a lot of unknowns (how does Linux fit
12 > > onto the NOR flash, what about the file system, etc...), so any help
13 > > would be appreciated if anyone has done this before.
14 >
15 > Yeah, it's nice.
16 > I'm playing with other EP9315 SBC, too. (a.k.a Armadillo-9)
17 > http://armadillo.atmark-techno.com/armadillo-9
18 > Unfortunately, it has only Japanese web pages.
19 > But, this corporation published by some English PDF specification or so.
20 > http://download.atmark-techno.com/armadillo-9/doc/armadillo9_hardware_manua
21 >l_en-1.0.2.pdf
22 > http://download.atmark-techno.com/armadillo-9/doc/armadillo9_software_manua
23 >l_en-1.0.2.pdf
24 >
25 > BTW, GAO Engineering provides like that SBC.
26 > It's in "Enbedded Linux Boards" category in http://www.gaoengineering.com
27 >
28 > And then, as you know,
29 > "Unofficial Linux 2.6.x support for Cirrus EP93xx processors homepage" is.
30 > http://members.inode.at/m.burian/ep93xx/
31 >
32 > > I'll also be adding a section to the how-to that deals with ARM based
33 > > devices.
34 >
35 > It would be nice.
36 > I had my EP9315 SBC runs with Gentoo.
37 > But now, it has GNU glibc based userland.
38 > I'll play to uClibc based Gentoo on it.
39
40 Thanks for the links! It looks like the stock 2.6.x kernel does not work
41 fully with the EP93xx chips, right?
42
43 Do you know anything about running the kernel out of NOR flash? I ask because
44 NOR flash can execute out of inself, instead of having to copy the kernel to
45 RAM and run from RAM. This makes boot times faster, but NOR flash does not
46 support filing systems the way NAND flash does (think compact flash,
47 usbsticks, etc..).
51 heath holcomb
52 liquidcable at bulah.com
53 www.bulah.com