From: elmar bucher <elmbeech@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] gentoo installation on openmoko freerunner
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 09:06:15
1 Dear gentoo-embedded list members,
2
3 I try to get gentoo installed on the openmoko freerunner phone,
4 following the instruction at
5 http://gentoo.mindzoo.de/index.cgi/wiki/native-compiling .
6 (Last post on this prj page is about a year ago, but I still hoped to
7 get it running.)
8
9 I manged to:
10 + fdisk the microSD card
11 + format the root partition
12 + format the swap partition
13 + download the latest stage3 tarball and extract it on the root partition
14 + download the latest portage tree and extract i to the root partition
15 + set zoneinfo
16 + set host name
17 + uncomment unnecessary terminal in /ect/fstab
18 + set locale-gen in inittab
19 + chroot to the system
20 + update environment (source /etc/profile && env-update)
21 + set root passwd
22 + enable sshd on startup (rc-update add sshd default)
23 + set up usb networking (http://gentoo.mindzoo.de/index.cgi/wiki/USB_Networking)
24 + remove consolefont from boot runlevel
25
26 But now, by trying to installing layman (to choose a profile) I run
27 into troubles:
28 If I try to emerge layman on the chrooted environment the phone can
29 not get an working internet connection.
30 Am I supposed to have a working internet connection?
31 I tried ping from the chrooted environment:
32 ping gentoo.org
33 ping: unknown host gentoo.org
34
35 At the moment the phone have the latest version of shr installed.
36 I can start wi-fi over "Iliwi" in shr. according to the message on the
37 screen get wifi CONNECTED.
38 how ever, if i try to ping from the non chrooted environment I get this:
39 ping gentoo.org
40 ping: bad address 'gentoo.org'
41
42 The latest I tried: I plugged the microSD card into my desktop, where
43 I tied to chroot to the environment. Without success. (Which somehow
44 makes sense to me, since the kernel on the microSD card is not packed
45 for the desktop hardware. But I am not sure if I am right.)
46
47 So this two question remains:
48 Do I need internet access on the phone (over wifi or the simcard) to
49 be able to finish the gentoo installation?
50 How can I install layman, that i can choose a profiles for openmoko?
51
52 I'm grateful for any hints.
53 So long, Elmar
57 Using Gmail? Please read this important notice:
58 http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/jstrap/gmail?8754.