From: gringo <gringo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] usb memory handling
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:04:25
1 Hi all!
2
3 first of all, thankx to solar for its help in this last discussion, your
4 script is very handy anmd helped a lot ;)
5 http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-embedded@l.g.o/msg00542.html
8 Now, im not sure what is the best way of handling the memory what
9 mounting the rootfs refers. I tried both methods i know of:
10
11 - rootfs in initrd ... slow like hell when copying kernel and initrd to
12 ram on usb1.1. Rootfs about 4-6 mbs.
13 - rootfs is on the memory and with the rootdelay kernel parameter, very
14 fast when compared to the above method.
15
16 I know usb memories have a short write cyrcle life so am i wrong when
17 thinking that the best is a mix of both, ie mounting /var in a ramdisk
18 and such things ? What about using jff2 and what about the io scheduler
19 f.ex ? Arent anticipatory or cfq useless when accessing a memory ?
20
21 And a last question ... how do i include f.ex udev or tinyx in busybox
22 ??? Im used to diff format patches and looking to the *.mk file does
23 not help me much ... sorry if this is too obvious ...
24
25 TIA
26 Andrés
30 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list