From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Gnap and google SOC
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:21:17
1 Ned Ludd wrote:
2
3 >> Does it make sense to try to put embedded gentoo on an old x86
4 >> machine? (486 or 586)?
5 >
6 > Sure.
9 >> If not what embedded nix distro would anyone recommend for these
10 >> very old machines, keeping in mind that kids and teenagers will
11 >> be playing with them for projects.......?
15 >> any suggestions are welcome.
16 >
17 > export ROOT=$PWD/ROOT
18 > export PORTAGE_BINHOST=http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/uclibc/i386/
19 > emerge -G system
20 > qmerge -fsv | less ; # (to look at the additional packages)
21 > emerge -G <additional packages.>
22 > cd ROOT
23 > tar jcvf ../ROOTFS-`date -u +%Y%m%d`.tar.bz2 ./
27 OK
28
29 Directly on the old machine,
30 use this after booting from what image/media?
33 Or does this give me extra detail specific to
34 a 386 arch, using the gentoo-embedded-handbook?
35
36 I'm looking for a well documented, easy proceedure,
37 so I can let the kids perform the installation, while
38 I hang out and help those that get stuck, or have
39 broken hardware. Kinda a class for embedded beginers
40 sorta approach. All of the embedded gentoo project
41 I have done, all seem to be a "random_walk" type
42 of process. That's what appealed to me with
43 GNAP..........
46 James