From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Embedded Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-embedded@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Porting Applications
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 05:39:40
1 On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 21:05, nDiScReEt wrote:
2 > Since we are committing to uClibc (I have no complaints and am in
3 > complete agreement, except....) that raises a new issue. Well, not
4 > entirely new but an issue nonetheless. Familiar is now trying to krack
5 > down on developers and contributors to provide links to their source
6 > code used to make their current binary programs. The downside is that
7 > without the special patches and what not, alot of useful and great
8 > programs can not be ported readily to uClibc.
9
10 Just to reiterate what I said in another email, uClibc is what we should
11 use for the default, but glibc will still be there as an option.
12
13 > There should be a tool that works like genmenu, in which where you use
14 > this program (let us call it "genembedconf") to set the parameters for
15 > your particular build of a embedded system
16 [lots of systems and specs listed]
17 > So creating an gentoo embedded configuration tool I think would
18 > simplify creating cross-compiling toolchains and target-specific
19 > compiled code.
20
21 Well this sounds like something the handhelds subproject people will be
22 looking at. A tool would be one option, another might be to put options
23 in make.conf or something; however, that might be a little ugly
24 depending on the number of parameters. The problem with a tool is that
25 you need to keep some sort of database about all the devices'
26 parameters, and would have to be maintained.
29 Chris PeBenito
30 <pebenito@g.o>
31 Developer, SELinux
32 Hardened Gentoo Linux
33 Embedded Gentoo Linux
34
35 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
36 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243