From: Arkadi Shishlov <arkadi.shishlov@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] arm router with 3 ports
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 18:04:13
1 On 04/07/10 17:34, Ed W wrote:
2 > Obviously these are quite a lot more power hungry than some ARM device,
3 > but if you want to filter 8x gig E ports then I wonder if you need
4 > something a bit more beefy anyway?
5
6 If you want to do that, then you need a specialized hardware (for relatively low
7 power consumption) or Core2/Phenom class CPU, right?
8 These recent incarnations of small routers with GigE interfaces is of limited
9 use. Most even have no memory bandwidth to do the routing on full speed of one
10 1Gbps stream. I agree, it is better to have GigE, because (1) 100Mbps+ speeds
11 are attainable, or (2) if there is an ethernet switch chip built-in and actual
12 processing only happens on WAN port.
13 Sure, 1GHz PPC RouterBoard or Lanner system has the value, but is it better or
14 cheaper than a generic Atom/Nano board + multiport ethernet card?