From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Small standard system take 84MB of ram after startup. How to lower memory footprint?
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 19:33:43
1 On Thursday 17 January 2013 05:43:09 Kfir Lavi wrote:
2 > I just killed some processes and arrived to bare system 64MB.
3 > Now just sshd, bash and agetty are showing in ps aux as real processes.
4 > The other are kernel processes.
5 > The kernel is pretty lean. Should I expect 64MB as the initial system
6 > memory use?
7 > Can I lower it?
8
9 you have to look at where exactly memory is being used
10
11 when the kernel boots, it very clearly tells you what it is using as a
12 starting point. in dmesg, look for the line starting with "Available:".
13
14 from there, run `ps auxOR`. the VSZ/RSS fields will tell you how much memory
15 each process is using (be aware that some of it is shared e.g. glibc shared
16 libs).
17
18 then look at /proc/meminfo and see what is being used where.
19
20 i'm assuming your system is booting off a real rootfs (e.g. not an initramfs)
21 so usage there shouldn't be a big problem.
22
23 with that information, you can see what can be shrunk or what is unavoidable.
24
25 FWIW, i built Blackfin systems w/16MiB of RAM fairly easily. but those used
26 uClibc and busybox (and dropbear for ssh). while much of userland was built
27 with -Os, the kernel and uClibc were built with -O2 as the space/optimization
28 tradeoffs didn't seem worth it.
29 -mike