From: Janusz Syrytczyk <jsyrytczyk@×××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] hardware raid reliability?
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:05:36
1 Monday 20 October 2008 18:10:20 Jan Klod napisał(a):
2 > Hello.
3 >
4 > Which option is safer in general, when talking about small embedded boards:
5 > hardware or software raid1?
6
7 If you're paranoid ;-) you could use linux mirror on 2 (or more, for the more
8 paranoid ;-) ) storage devices.
9
10 When you do raid you should conduct some extreme tests: disconnect on heavy
11 load, burn one of your CFs with lighter, etc. to prove yourself that it is
12 worth of the extra job you do (well I do raid everything I have of servers,
13 it makes me sleep better, but once I had a raid and...)
14
15 If I'd have to create some extremely durable storage I would use the simplest
16 solution, so its linux raid. But it is generally safe to leave all on ro
17 partition with hardcoded default configuration (or steps for acquiring this
18 configuration) and make the rest as small as it could be.
19
20 Oh, but that was general anyway.
21
22 Janusz.