From: Alex <gentoo-embedded@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Current Status?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:52:37
1 I'm very proficient in C/C++. I'm also fairly skilled at doing shell
2 scripts and makefiles. I know a little perl and have a good handle on
3 regular expressions.
4
5 I'm familiar with how to configure and compile applications from scratch.
6
7 I joined this list because I was trying to use Gentoo to make chroot
8 jails. I was trying to do something like
9
10 ROOT="/jail" emerge apache.
11
12 And get something that worked and was also fairly minimal. What really
13 annoys me about portage is that the configure/compile/install cmds are
14 tied directly to the version of the ebuild. If you make your own custom
15 builds, you have to make a new one for each incremental version of an app,
16 or else suffer the consequences.
17
18 I also felt that perhaps there should be a distinction between
19 dependencies for building an app versus dependencies for using it. (e.g.
20 linux-headers are never needed at runtime!). It sorta makes sense to not
21 distinguish these for a normal desktop, but not for cross-compiling on
22 embedded systems.
23
24 I was considering developing some automated scripts in a
25 Linux-From-Scratch style. Then, I realized that for cross-compiling, the
26 same problem applies and perhaps I could work with (or learn from) this
27 forum.
28
29 -Alex