From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] profiles for reduced disk usage
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:18:41
1 Christopher Friedt wrote:
2 > I've noticed a lot of the same things actually - I was using an Ubuntu
3 > LiveUSB for a while, with persistent storage, and that would be just
4 > brutal in terms of any disk I/O.
5
6 I guess that was deliberate because most users assume that if they hit
7 save on their document and the screen says "saved", then they can rip
8 the stick out after a few seconds (that's how windows works after
9 all...). So based on the principle of least surprise I guess sync is a
10 sensible choice for the masses?
11
12 What would be a compromise is if it's possible to set the sync time per
13 device? Although isn't a flush implicit every 5 secs anyway on a
14 default kernel?
15
16 Ed W
17 --