From: Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] the newbie and the WRAP
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 16:29:35
1 mjinks@××××××××.edu wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 09:18:38PM -0500, mjinks@××××××××.edu wrote:
3 >
4 >>Hi all. New here, likely to ask a dumb question or two... for example:
7 > <snip>
8 >
9 >>From the PC Engines (minimal) online docs, I found a suggestion that
10 >>adding "reboot=bios" to the kernel command line might fix this, but no
11 >>dice, and now I'm stumped.
14 > Well it turns out that I might not be as stumped as I thought, but I did
15 > ask a dumb question.
16 >
17 > In order to add "reboot=bios" to the kernel command line, I tried
18 > editing the "isolinux.cfg" file under my gnap-extensions directory, like
19 > so:
20 >
21 > [...]
22 > append initrd=gentoo.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc acpi=off looptype=squashfs loop=/livecd.squashfs cdroot
23 >
24 > Remastered, wrote the results to my CF card (I thought), and rebooted.
25 >
26 > Well, the package extension I added (elvis) shows up on my target
27 > machine, but /proc/cmdline doesn't include "reboot=bios". In fact it
28 > looks quite a bit different from the append= line above:
29 >
30 > initrd=gentoo.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc acpi=off looptype=squashfs loop=/livecd.sfs cdroot=/dev/hda1 docache console=ttyS0,38400n81 BOOT_IMAGE=gentoo
31 >
32 > So clearly I've misunderstood something somewhere, and the question I
33 > should have asked is: How do I find and edit the grub.conf that will
34 > be installed on a GNAP system?
35
36 When used in disk mode, GNAP uses the syslinux.cfg file (in
37 specs/isolinux) to pass boot options. The core file includes that file.
38 Then the gnap_overlay script takes that file from the core, rewrites it
39 with some options, and then syslinuxes the disk.
40
41 Look for :
42
43 sed -i "s:cdroot:cdroot=/dev/${TARGETROOT} ${CACHE}${SERIAL}:"
44 "${TEMPMOUNTDIR}/syslinux.cfg"
45
46 in gnap_overlay
47
48 So you can either add your parameter to the syslinux.cfg file in the
49 specs and rebuild your core, hack the syslinux.cfg file from the core
50 tarfile directly, or hack the gnap_overlay script to do your bidding.
51
52 Something like
53
54 sed -i "s:cdroot:reboot=bios cdroot=/dev/${TARGETROOT}
55 ${CACHE}${SERIAL}:" "${TEMPMOUNTDIR}/syslinux.cfg"
56
57 should do the trick.
58 Hope this helps.
61 Koon