From: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] upgrading to gcc-3.3.6
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:58:11
1 On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Natanael Copa wrote:
2
3 > Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
4 >
5 > >On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Natanael Copa wrote:
9 > >>I upgraded to gcc-3.3.6 today and when recompiling the drivers (kernel
10 > >>modules in the portage tree) I got some warnings and the modules fails
11 > >>to load:
12 > >>
13 > >>
14 > >>WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/fs/fuse.ko needs unknown
15 > >>symbol __sta ck_smash_handler
16 > >>
17 > >>
18 > ...
19 >
20 > >>So I guess there is something wrong with my gcc upgrade. I guess I need
21 > >>to do a proper toolchain upgrade?
22 > >>
23 > >>
24 > >
25 > >no, your module build process (Makefiles) does not add -D__KERNEL__ to the
26 > >build, so ssp will be enabled on the built modules (not supported by any
27 > >gentoo kernel).
28 > >Nothing in the kernel and module build process is allowed to enable
29 > >-fstack-protector (either by CFLAGS or any other method)
30 > >Rebuild one of the above modules and paste your compiler line.
34 > I worked around it by selecting the nossp gcc profile, compiled all the
35 > modules and switched back to the standard hardened gcc profile. Now I
36 > cannot reproduce it.
37 >
38 > Could it have been a bug in portage that have been fixed? (I did a
39 > emerge -ssync today to get that gdbm update)
40
41 I don't think so, as I said, the way you compiled your modules was
42 incorrect. if gcc gets -D__KERNEL__ no ssp is enabled (independently of
43 the chosen hardened/non-hardened compiler), if you build within the normal
44 kernel tree, this is set for you, but if you try to build addons, this has
45 to be done by the Makefile used.
46
47 That's why I asked for your command-line for one of these modules (to
48 clarify this) ... it seems too late.
49
50 Peter
53 Peter S. Mazinger <ps dot m at gmx dot net> ID: 0xA5F059F2
54 Key fingerprint = 92A4 31E1 56BC 3D5A 2D08 BB6E C389 975E A5F0 59F2
57 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list