From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Licence compliance - capturing all source files used to make a build?
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 21:17:54
On 02/03/2012 15:22, Bertrand Jacquin wrote:
> On 02.03.2012 15:35, Peter Stuge wrote: >> Mike Frysinger wrote: >>> if you capture all of the $PORTDIR/$CATEGORY/$PN/ and $A, then >>> there should be no need to manually hook into epatch >> >> The point of hooking into epatch would be to only have exactly those >> patches which get applied. Some ebuilds come with a huge set of >> patches, but only few may be applied depending on USE and version. >> It's nice to have just the right ones. > > epatch is not the only necessary thing, some ebuilds do 'sed -i' on > files. I don't really know for autotools files.
Hmm, this is an interesting thought. My instinct would be to consider this under the heading of "build recipe" since it's arguably similar to what the makefile and other pre-processors are doing. I don't disagree that someone could argue this all kinds of ways, but I think you would have to be fairly bloody minded to try for an infringement claim if the ebuild were provided (since arguably the patch is there)? It also occurs to me that it's safer to include all of $ FILESDIR, or at least everything without a .patch extension, since there is also "cp $FILESDIR/somefile $S" to watch for?
> An extension about Mike mind can be an automagic diff between all > SRC_URI freshly src_unpack(ed) and after install+distclean or after > src_prepare. Assuming that not any other code is modified during > src_(compile|install).
A very simple solution is to diff the code - however, I claim this is *incredibly* unhelpful to the whole notion of open source. If I were the copyright holder then I would far rather have a cooperative, but accidentally non compliant distributor who has genuinely made an effort, than someone who just provides a massive code diff... (Yeah, probably some corner case in that argument, but the point is that patches like "fix segfault on touching some file" are infinitely more useful than a massive diff...) Thanks for the feedback Ed W