From: Karl Hiramoto <karl@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] embedded ext2 and fsck
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 14:05:41
1 On 04/09/2010 02:24 PM, Relson, David wrote:
2 > We're presently running with 3 partitions:
3 >
4 > /dev/hda1 - /boot FAT16,ro - syslinux boot partition
5 > /dev/hda2 - / EXT2,fo - linux system and application program
6 > /dev/hda3 - /var EXT2,rw,sync - data partition
7 >
8 > The program is calling sync() after every call to close(). This is
9 > slow, but the number of open,write,close,sync cycles is 4 per minute, so
10 > the slowness is livable. Probably this redundant "belt and suspenders"
11 > approach can be optimized to rw,async and sync(). An alternate idea is
12 > to use FAT16 for the data partition (which would work fine because the
13 > program has been ported from DOS and uses 8.3 filenames).
14 >
15 > Regards,
18 I'm not sure what kind of lifetime you expect from your device, but if
19 you want to maximize it, you should have the RW partition on a separate
20 physical media. Partitions don't really mean anything to the hardware
21 wear leveling.
22
23 If your data media breaks or wears out you just swap it for a new one.
26 Karl