From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] emerge --root : users not created
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 21:29:34
1 On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 23:25 +0200, Ahmed Ammar wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 18:37 +0100, Peter Stuge wrote
3 > > useradd is a C program and my idea is to make it use the chroot()
4 > > system call. This system call changes the root directory for the
5 > > calling process. The chroot utility uses this system call, and then
6 > > executes a shell or other program inside the new root. The utility
7 > > will of course not work cross platform.
8 > >
9 > > As long as the useradd C program does not rely on other executables
10 > > at runtime, which I severly doubt considering the nature of the
11 > > program, calling chroot() early in useradd would work regardless of
12 > > what binaries, if any, are inside the new root dir. useradd only
13 > > touches the user database text files.
14 >
15 > Sounds like a simple enough idea. Patches welcome? Might be worth
16 > looking at how Gentoo Prefix does it first though.
19 FYI. This is GLEP-0027 and it's not handled anywhere properly yet afaik.
20
21 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0027.html
25 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
26 Gentoo Linux