From: Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] sysvinit: sanetime for boards without an rtc?
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:11:00
1 Hi folks,
2
3 I have a couple of boards that ship by default without RTC devices and
4 boot time always incurs the following nasty messages in multiplicity.
5
6 ...
7  * One of the files in /etc/{conf.d,init.d} or /etc/rc.conf
8  * has a modification time in the future!
9  * One of the files in /etc/{conf.d,init.d} or /etc/rc.conf
10  * has a modification time in the future!
11 ...
12
13 A very simple solution was be to maintain an /etc/sanetime file that
14 would set a time other than the epoch at boot. Something within the
15 last day, month, year, or decade even ;-)
16
17 There's a fallback sanetime in /etc/init.d/sanetime just in case
18 /etc/sanetime doesn't exist, and it works naturally because time is
19 monotonically increasing (last I checked).
20
21 Also, it would seem that /etc/clock doesn't fail gracefully when there
22 is no rtc, even when there are provisions to 'fakeit' for other
23 reasons.
24
25 ...
26  * Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
27 Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access method.Can
28 not access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
29 Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access method.
30  * Failed to set clock You will need to set the clock yourself
31
32   [ !! ]
33 ...
34
35 It was just a matter of adding an /etc/init.d/sanetime script,
36 slightly patching /etc/init.d/clock & /sbin/rc (AFAIK this only works
37 for sysvinit, not openrc).
38
39 See the attached files.
40
41 Cheers,
42
43 C
44
45 PS: I was going to file a bug report, but it seems that the
46 certificate for bugs.gentoo.org has become invalid ATM.

add-sanetime-to-sbin-rc.patch application/octet-stream
add-sanetime-to-etc-init.d-clock.patch application/octet-stream
sanetime application/octet-stream