From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Bootloader for Embedded System
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:03:56
1 I always used lilo for this task. I found grub to be way to problematic
2 and BIG. On x86 I'd chroot into the CF and run lilo. It can be tricky
3 and a tad confusing at times till you make that mental map of where the
4 devices live. Note be careful or you could end up killing the wrong
5 boot sector or device.
6
7 My CF was my /dev/sdb but CF is IDE so I needed a conf like this.
8 http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/embedded/local/local/customize/etc/lilo.conf
9
10 The kernel got installed to sdb1->hda1 and sdb2->hda2 was used as the
11 ROOT file system.
12
13 I also used these two scripts to speed up the task.
14
15 (Format the CF)
16 http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/embedded/fdisk_cf_flash
17
18 (Copy the FS to flash and run the bootloader)
19 http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/embedded/flash_cf_disk
20
21 .. good luck.