From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Bootloader for Embedded System
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:03:56
I always used lilo for this task. I found grub to be way to problematic
and BIG. On x86 I'd chroot into the CF and run lilo. It can be tricky
and a tad confusing at times till you make that mental map of where the
devices live. Note be careful or you could end up killing the wrong
boot sector or device.

My CF was my /dev/sdb but CF is IDE so I needed a conf like this.
http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/embedded/local/local/customize/etc/lilo.conf

The kernel got installed to sdb1->hda1 and sdb2->hda2 was used as the
ROOT file system.

I also used these two scripts to speed up the task.

(Format the CF)
http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/embedded/fdisk_cf_flash

(Copy the FS to flash and run the bootloader)
http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/embedded/flash_cf_disk

.. good luck.