From: Shinkan <shinkan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Re: [OT] Catalyst
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:14:40
1 2009/12/2 Eckard Brauer <ecki@×××××××××.de>
2
3 > My favourite target would be to Gentoo-ify a couple of servers -- means
4 > to have a flexible build system. That in turn means to build different
5 > types of targets (database, xen-host, app-engine, web server, etc.; I
6 > already can do that with stage4) and to individually (1) fill that
7 > targets with (1.a) configuration, (1.b) some custom code and data and
8 > (2) build one or more (non-ISO9660) file system image(s) of it, which
9 > can be sent to a LV or a storage system for use (boot) afterwards.
12 Hi ecki.
13
14 Looking at catalyst stage4 example spec file
15 (/usr/share/doc/catalyst-x.y/examples/), I would recommend the
16 "stage4/root_overlay" directive, which basically put a layer upon your
17 stage.
18 So let's say you put your additional binaries and conf files in /myfiles/,
19 you'll just have to say :
20 stage4/root_overlay = "/myfiles/"
21 and content of /myfiles/ will be cped over your target stage4 /
22 The same goes with livecd-stage2 spec file : you can put a layer over your
23 CD / filesystem. You can even put files on the CD directly with same kind of
24 var defining.
25 That solves 1).
26 Concerning 2), I have absolutely no idea, but I think it's not possible
27 without hacking in catalyst "bins".
33 Pierre.
34 "Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. I
35 wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice." -
36 Bill Watterson