From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] some uClibc experience
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:03:13
1 On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 19:46, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
2 > On 12 Nov 2003, Ned Ludd wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 16:31, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
5 > > > There are problems building some of the binaries with propolice enabled
6 > > > gcc, mainly the .hidden support in binutils has to be "hidden" from gcc,
7 > > > but as I can see (read), the glibc version does not work flawlessly
8 > > > either.
9 > > >
10 > > Have you successfully used ssp with uclibc?
11 > It worked (somehow, not quite correct, and some packages where not
12 > rebuildable) at the time where uClibc had support for LIBGCC_FUNCTIONS
13 > (adding functions from libgcc to libc) This was the only way I got a
14 > system running it (__guard and __smash... where added to libc). Since then
15 > I cannot modify buildroot so that I get a system running, segfaults on all
16 > the line (tested only with gcc-3.3.x and protector 3.3-5). I think the
17 > solution would be to add the needed functions to uClibc (and remove them
18 > from libgcc!!!).
19
20 One of the hardened-gcc version introduced guard symbols to libgcc.a.
21 I'm pretty sure this no longer should be the case if your running ~arch
22 as they are in fact getting introduced into glibc.
23 If you care to hack the functionaly into uClibc I'll point you at the
24 glibc version from etoh http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/ssp/guard.c
27 > > > 1. UPX works too (I have built 1.91-cvs), the compression is not so good,
28 > > > as with prebuilt binaries (NRV is not free), but works also on kernel
29 > > > images (bzImage)
30 > >
31 > > Would this have a big advantage over say cramfs support? I would assume
32 > > that most compressed file systems or executable packers also tend to use
33 > > more memory on access whihc could lead to an ever slower system.
34 > UPX developer says, that the uncompression does not cost much, didn't
35 > really tested it. I do not have cramfs experience.
36 >
37 > > > 3. The uClibc toolchain is not uptodate, but the buildroot is already used
38 > > > by the developers themselves to create development images, so the infos on
39 > > > cross-building are there and tested already.
40 > >
41 > > Please take a look at the 0.9.22 ebuild in portage. The wrappers for
42 > > gcc,c++,ld,ldd,ar,etc are all missing and I don't know why. I've checked
43 > > the detail/changelogs on the uclibc.org site and see no mention of this
44 > > what so ever.
45 > The wrappers are for ever gone. Use the procedure from buildroot (the
46 > toolchain building from here).
47 >
48 > Peter
49 --