From: jesse@×××××××××××××.com
To: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>, gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] "Gentoo on the Marvell Sheevaplug" Code Listing 3.6 question
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 00:05:08
1 On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 01:36 +0200, "Angelo Arrifano" <miknix@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 > On 26-06-2010 01:00, jesse@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > Howdy. I'd like to know how Gentoo devs build the files in Code Listing
5 > > 3.6 in http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/sheevaplug/install.xml ? I'd
6 > > like to build those files myself, and would love to see your recipe,
7 > > even if it's very rough. I'm especially interested in what tools you
8 > > used. Thanks.
9 >
10 > * uImage_kwplug is just Linux - the kernel. The sources are mainly
11 > available on kernel.org. You need a cross compiler to build them for
12 > this particular Marvell CPU. Look on Gentoo documentation how to build a
13 > cross compiler and how to compile the kernel.
14 >
15 > * sheevaplug.initramfs - This is just the bootable userspace. Since we
16 > are at Gentoo, I guess it was produced using our cross-compiler
17 > toolchain which is embedded in the Gentoo's package manager. Look on our
18 > documentation how to build a cross compiler and cross compile with
19 > emerge.
20 >
21 > Keywords: crossdev, emerge, cross root compilation, cross compile kernel
22 >
23 > There are no secrets, everything is widely available
24 > Have fun ;)
25 > >
26 > > Cheers,
27 > > Jesse Adelman
28 > > San Francisco, CA
33 Thanks, Angelo. I should have been more specific, and narrow. :) I'm
34 really interested in the initramfs generation. I've got a ARM toolchain
35 configured (yay qemu-arm and distcc... takes about 48 hours to
36 emptytree-build a stripped-down userspace given my resources), and have
37 a chrooted ARM rootfs made, but I'm curious how it was made into an
38 "initramfs". My plan is to have boot into an SD Card on the sheevaplugs
39 and guruplugs, but booting the rootfs from tftp like the docs do would
40 make for easier testing.
41
42 Cheers,
43 Jesse Adelman