From: "John L. Poole" <jlpoole56@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] initramfs help
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 00:11:36
1 I'm trying to create a initramfs for the Marvell OpenRD-client as Raúl
2 Porcel did for the SheevaPlug in his acclaimed tome:
3 http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/sheevaplug/install.xml
4
5 I've created a topic "Help with initramfs for Marvell OpenRD-Client LE"
6 in the forum, http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6511131.html#6511131,
7 outlining what I have done and the failure I have met with:
8
9 tftpboot 0x8000000 initramfs
10 ...
12 Bad Magic Number
13
14 My question that could be readily answered is: when preparing the
15 initramfs for a staged tree at /usr/src/initramfs, is the command
16
17 cd /usr/src/initramfs/
18 find . -print0 | cpio --null -ov --format=newc | gzip -9 > [outputfile]
19
20 I'm wondering if the file should be in gzip format or something else?
21
22 Also, I read at the deprecated http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/genkernel.xml
23 that:
24
25 Additionally, you should enable SquashFS because most modern Gentoo
26 Installation CDs require it.
27
28 Does this apply to a kernel for the ARM processor such as Raul did?
29
30 It would be really educational to learn what the steps are for creating
31 an initramfs.
35 John Laurence Poole
36 P.O. Box 6566
37 Napa CA 94581-6566