From: "John L. Poole" <jlpoole56@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] initramfs help
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 00:11:36
I'm trying to create a initramfs for the Marvell OpenRD-client as Raúl
Porcel did for the SheevaPlug in his acclaimed tome:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/sheevaplug/install.xml

I've created a topic "Help with initramfs for Marvell OpenRD-Client LE"
in the forum, http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6511131.html#6511131,
outlining what I have done and the failure I have met with:

    tftpboot 0x8000000 initramfs
    Bad Magic Number

My question that could be readily answered is:  when preparing the
initramfs for a staged tree at /usr/src/initramfs, is the command

    cd /usr/src/initramfs/
    find . -print0 | cpio --null -ov --format=newc | gzip -9 > [outputfile]

I'm wondering if the file should be in gzip format or something else?

Also, I read at the deprecated http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/genkernel.xml
that:

    Additionally, you should enable SquashFS because most modern Gentoo
Installation CDs require it.

Does this apply to a kernel for the ARM processor such as Raul did?

It would be really educational to learn what the steps are for creating
an initramfs.

--

John Laurence Poole
P.O. Box 6566