From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Boot hangs on Soekris NET4801
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 16:46:01
1 On 25/12/2014 22:24, Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > The boot process issue has been solved by setting up PATA properly in
5 > the kernel config.
8 Just watch out, I *think* this will bite you again when you upgrade to a
9 newer kernel? It's *NOT* the PATA which is the problem, but some
10 bug/interaction between GPIO setup and the pata driver. The key is
11 actually to disable GPIO-Keys (from memory) which seems to break the
12 pata module. I think it only became a problem somewhere in the early
13 3.x ish era where a platform module was added to emulate the Alix button
14 as a "button".
15
16 Anyway, I don't recall the details now, but like you I briefly fixed it
17 by fiddling with PATA modules before I realised it wasn't really the
18 issue... I speculate it's something to do with the polling of the GPIOs
19 which is leaving the structure in some state which breaks the PATA
20 module...?
21
22 I haven't chased down details though. I concede I have read the
23 datasheets on the CS533x and mostly understand the basics of the
24 interrupt setup, but I don't really understand enough about how linux
25 deals with interrupts to resolve this.. My goal was to get GPIO
26 interrupts working in order to get a GPS 1PPS working... I think I can
27 concede I have mostly lost interest though and it's not going to get
28 finished... We do at least have platform setup modules for the various
29 architectures though, so it's a start...
30
31 Good luck!
32
33 Ed W