From: Daniel Glaser <daniel.glaser@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] crosscompile bash
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:23:53
Hi Corey
> Thanks a ton for the helpful clues! > > I think I've almost got my mind wrapped around this stuff - but just to be > certain, I'd like to clarify one thing. > > My goal is pretty simple right now: I just want to create a second gentoo > installation on a separate partition, which is built from the ground-up using > uclibc - I'm still using the same platform/architecture ( i686 ), so I'm not > trying to target some different embedded device or anything, and I _do_ > want to have a complete toolchain ( including portage ) on this uclibc-based > gentoo partion. > > My intention/aim is to only cross-compile the minimal environment necessary > to be able to chroot into this new partition and begin emerging the rest of the > software I want, as per a normal/standard gentoo install. Restated, I'm simply > after a uclibc-based/built gentoo system. > > With that said, do I still need to emerge the libraries into a separate "SOMEXTOOLCHAIN" > ROOT? Or am I able to somehow just install those same libraries directly into > "YOUROTHERROOT" ROOT ( i.e., my separate partition, where I want my uclibc-based > gentoo to reside? ) >
This depends mostly on your intentions and for sure on the packages options. If you have the choice, to statically compile the libs into the packages, then you don't need it in your minimal-root. This is an option, when the package has a static use flag. But if it has no option for static compiling, then the package needs to have the lib available because it uses the lib at runtime. For example, busybox supports static compiling and is able to run without any library, if you give it the static use flag. But be aware of other packages. Most of them don't support it. -daniel -- gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list